Mary Horowitz is a cruciverbalist – a crossword puzzle constructor. Her brain spins at warp speed with an endless stream of arcane information. She can come up with the perfect word – and dozens with the same meaning – at a moment’s notice, but “normal” behavior eludes her. For Mary, nothing is typical, especially relationships. When she is set up on a blind date with handsome cable-news cameraman Steve, Mary thinks the chemistry is undeniable – that Steve is “the one.” Steve, on the other hand, thinks Mary is crazy. Mary, who just knows she’s found her soul mate, decides to do anything and go anywhere to be with him. She begins to pursue Steve relentlessly as he crisscrosses the country, covering breaking news stories. Mary’s escalating infatuation with Steve is encouraged by the self-serving actions of news reporter Hartman Hughes, who enjoys torturing his insolent cameraman at every opportunity. With Mary never far behind and Hartman urging her on, Steve becomes increasingly unhinged. But when Mary becomes embroiled in the news story of the year, Steve and Hartman begin to see her differently. Hartman is plagued by guilt, knowing his game of one-upmanship with Steve has placed her squarely in harms way, while Steve is feeling his own pangs of remorse at his callous behavior. Despite the media storm surrounding her, Mary with her upbeat, unaffected manner brings together a small community of new friends. And all who encounter Mary will realize that sometimes the ones who don’t fit in are the ones who really stand out.
The Majestic Theater
108 N Lamar St
Eastland, TX 76448-1818
Show Times: Friday – Monday 7:30 p.m.
Ticket prices for ages 3 and up – $4.50
Adults only balcony (21 & up) – $6.00
- QUICK TAKE:
- Comedy: A nerdy, trivia-spewing crossword puzzle creator thinks a TV cameraman is interested in her and thus follows him around the country, much to his horror.
- Mary Horowitz (SANDRA BULLOCK) creates weekly crossword puzzles for the Sacramento Herald but doesn’t have any sort of personal life. The fact that she lives at home with her parents (BETH GRANT and HOWARD HESSMAN) while her place is fumigated certainly doesn’t help matters, and she isn’t looking forward to the blind date they’ve arranged for her. That changes, however, when she sets eyes on Steve Gunders (BRADLEY COOPER), a cameraman for the CCN TV network who works with producer Angus (KEN JEONG) getting reporter Hartman Hughes (THOMAS HADEN CHURCH) on the air. Immediately smitten, she tries seducing him in the first minutes of their date, and while he’s sort of into that, her non-stop talking and trivia dropping quickly changes his mind. Fortunately for him, an urgent work call means he has to leave, but not before saying something she takes out of context as meaning he’s interested in her when he really isn’t.
- The next day, her crossword puzzle is all about him, resulting in her boss firing her. Yet, in her mind, that frees her up to join Steve on the road, and thus she sets off to find him as his team covers the latest breaking new stories for their boss, Danny (KEITH DAVID). After she barely misses them when a hostage situation is resolved, she follows them to another location where they’re covering the news story of a girl born with three legs.
- There, she meets a number of protestors, including Elizabeth (KATY MIXON) and Howard (DJ QUALLS), who want the girl to keep her limbs. When not the on air competing with rival reporter Vasquez (JASON JONES) for that and other stories, Hartman decides to mess with Mary by leading her on that Steve truly is into her, and that anything he says to the contrary is just him being insecure.
- From that point on, and as they end up traveling around the country, Mary continues with her belief that she’s meant to be with Steve, all as his horror of being stalked continues to grow.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- They might if they’re big fans of anyone in the cast or are looking for a goofy comedy.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13
- For sexual content including innuendos.
- CAST AS ROLE MODELS:
- SANDRA BULLOCK plays a nerdy crossword puzzle creator who has no social life and thus latches onto Steve when she sees how handsome he is. She immediately comes on to him sexually and then, not realizing he’s blown her off, follows him around the country, essentially stalking him. She also uses profanity.
- BRADLEY COOPER plays a TV cameraman who goes on a blind date with her, initially enjoys her immediately coming on to him, but is thankful their tryst is interrupted. He then goes about his life, initially unaware and then horrified by the fact that she mistook something he said for him being interested in her, thus resulting in her stalking him. He uses profanity and briefly punches Hartman for lying to Mary about his feelings toward her.
- THOMAS HADEN CHURCH plays the egotistical and overly dramatic on-air TV reporter who works with Steve. For fun, he leads on Mary to think that Steve does like her. He also uses profanity.
- DJ QUALLS plays a young man who ends up traveling with Mary and Elizabeth around the country following Steve. He briefly uses profanity and makes face figurines out of carved apples.
- KATY MIXON plays a young woman Mary meets who becomes her friend and travel companion. She wears a top that shows a lot of cleavage.
- KEITH DAVID plays the network boss who’s constantly irritated by the work delivered by Steve’s crew. He uses some profanity.
- BETH GRANT and HOWARD HESSMAN play Mary’s parents who only want her to be happy and then are worried about her safety late in the film.